The Clements Site (41CS25) : a late 17th- to early 18th-century Nasoni Caddo settlement and cemetery. (Anthropological papers of the American Museum of Natural History, no. 92)
New York : American Museum of Natural History.
The Clements site (41CS25) is a late 17th- to early 18th-century Nasoni Caddo settlement and cemetery on Black Bayou in the northeastern Texas Pineywoods. The site was found and excavated in about 1898 by a local landowner, who sold the collection to the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in 1900. This long-forgotten collection was brought to the attention of the Caddo Nation of Oklahoma as part of consultation between the Caddo and the AMNH through a Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act grant, and then studied in detail in 2004 by the Caddo and Archeological & Environmental Consultants, LLC. This report, the product of collaboration between the Caddo Nation, professional archaeologists who work with the Caddo, the AMNH, and the National Park Service, discusses the character and archaeological significance of the diverse funerary objects placed with the dead in this Nasoni Caddo cemetery. TABLE OF CONTENTS: The Clements Site and the W.T. Scott collection -- The W.T. Scott collection at the American Museum of Natural History. Ceramic vessels. Regional comparisons of Caddo vessel assemblages. Ceramic pipes. Pigment. Chipped stone knives. Ground stone tools. Freshwater mussel shells. Marine shell ornaments. Glass beads -- Summary of the collections from the Clements Site.
52 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm. "Issued February 16, 2010." Includes bibliographical references (p. 47-52).
Clements Site (Tex.), Caddo Indians, Burial, Texas, Cass County